We made this one extra sea plane tender model as a training model for some of our apprentice model makers. There are three small errors - the aft crane has a 3 degree lean to starboard, there are two small (less than 1/8") black marks on the transom, and a small (less than 1/4") paint smudge on the port foward bow. Otherwise the model is outstanding. The model is 24.92" long (1/150 scale) and includes brass pedestals, nameplate and campaign ribbon plaques.. The model is sold as is, and is complete as shown.
This model is of the USS San Carlos (AVP-51). The San Carlos was in commission from 1944 to 1947, performing her World War II service in the Pacific, where she saw action in the Solomon Islands, at Morotai, and Philippines campaign. After years in reserve, she returned to U.S. Navy service in 1958 as the hydrographic survey ship USNS Josiah Willard Gibbs (T-AGOR-1), serving in this role until 1971. In 1971 she was transferred to Greece, where she served in the Hellenic Navy as the motor torpedo boat tender Hephaistos (A413) until 1976
Regular Price = $1,650 Sale Price = $660 Save 60%
Payment in full is required with order. Your model will ship within 72 hours.
Prices include shipping and insurance.
The Barnegat class was a large class of United States Navy small seaplane tenders (AVP) built during World War II. Thirty were completed as seaplane tenders, four as motor torpedo boat tenders, and one as a catapult training ship. Before World War II, the United States Navy foresaw a need for a large force of seaplane tenders in the event of a war in the Pacific, to allow air operations from undeveloped islands and atolls. Full-size seaplane tenders (AVs) were designed to support two squadrons of flying boats each, but they were more expensive to build and had a deep draft, precluding their use in shallow harbors. The U.S. Navy therefore also planned for "small seaplane tenders" (AVPs), with a shallower draft, capable of supporting only one squadron each, but cheaper to build and able to operate in shallow waters. The AVPs were not the descendants of the "seaplane tenders (destroyer)" (AVDs), which were converted from old destroyers because the Barnegat class could not be built quickly enough to meet the needs of the Navy at the start of the war. Both the full-size and small seaplane tenders were designed to provide supplies, spare parts, fuel, repairs, and berthing for assigned seaplane squadrons, and were well-armed so that they could serve as the primary line of defense of the seaplane bases they set up.
The Barnegat-class ships were the first purpose-built AVPs, prior ships carrying that designation having been minesweepers. In addition to carrying out the above-described responsibilities, they were well-enough armed to be employed as escorts for larger seaplane tenders, having a substantial anti-air and anti-surface gunnery capability, as well as depth charge racks and sonar for antisubmarine work. The gun battery varied greatly, being envisioned originally as two 5-inch (127-millimeter) 38-caliber guns, being expanded to an assigned total of four such guns in 1942. Few ships mounted four of these guns, and batteries of three, two, or one 5-inch guns were mounted during World War II, accompanied by various combinations of 40-millimeter and 20 mm antiaircraft guns. The armament was reduced after the war; those ships in commission as survey ships were entirely unarmed by 1959.
Want to keep informed of our special offers, discounts, new products and updates? Sign up for our e-mail newsletter. Newsletters are sent every 6-8 weeks. Our promise- We will not share your e-mail with any other company- ever!Sign up for our Newsletter